The knocker on the front door of the Inn escapes many people’s attention, even those that have been coming through the door regularly for years. It’s a reminder that the first recorded name of the Inn was the Fox Tavern, for Jedediah Fox, the son-in-law of the man who built the Inn in 1789, Noah Wheeler. Jed Fox would take over the Inn from his father-in-law sometime in the late 18th century and run it until 1829.
A photography team visited the Inn recently as part of a photo shoot of the Monadnock region for New Hampshire Tourism. The knocker on the door did not escape their attention.