County Covered Bridge
The County Covered Bridge (also known as the County Farm Covered Bridge) is a long truss bridge connecting the towns of Hancock and Greenfield over the Contoocook River just before Powder Mill Pond. It was built in 1937 after the previous bridge was destroyed by a flood. The original was built in 1852.
Historically, there were several reasons to build a covered bridge, though now the practice has fallen out of favor. By covering a bridge, a town protected their investment from rain, snow and ice. The roof also contributed to the overall strength of the bridge. Cattlemen appreciated a covered bridge because their stock could more easily cross when they could not see the water below.
There is a parking area and boat launch just beyond the bridge on Forest Road. Distance from The Hancock Inn: 3 miles