The Hancock Inn, New Hampshire’s Oldest Inn
The Hancock Inn is the oldest inn in New Hampshire and one of the oldest bed and breakfasts in New England. In continuous operation since 1789, it remains true to its origin. The Inn is filled with colonial-style furniture, many antiques from New England, and paintings and curios “of the period.”
The Hancock Inn was built by Noah Wheeler shortly after the town was incorporated. Once upon a time it was one of seven inns in the small village. But, it was the first in the area to offer accommodations along with food and beverages. The Inn became a center of social life after it was purchased by David Patten in 1830. Patten was a state senator and served on the governor’s council. His close friend, Franklin Pierce (then a US Senator) was a frequent guest at the Inn. Pierce went on to become the only President of the United States to hail from New Hampshire!
Today guests can relax and enjoy the historic ambiance in guestrooms with modern amenities. The Inn has central air conditioning and each room has a private bathroom, some with whirlpool tubs and one with a two-person Jacuzzi. A number of rooms have either gas or electric fireplaces. In the winter, you will find guests relaxing in the Tavern and Dining Room, heated by gas fireplaces or wood stove, or in our sitting rooms in front of the wood burning fireplace. In the summer, it's outside on the front porch in one of the rocking chairs observing the small town bustle, or out back in our garden enjoying the flowers and greenery.Current owners, Marcia and Jarvis Coffin, supported by their golden retriever, Potter, and an experienced staff are committed to making you feel welcome and at home in their Inn.
Click here to request Inn information.
- Music on Norway Pond: Cristian Budu on Sunday 12 April 2015
- Music in Bass Hall: The Strathspey and Reel Society of New Hampshire on Sunday 12 April 2015
- Music in Bass Hall: The Apple Hill String Quartet on Saturday 25 April 2015
GPS Coordinates: Latitude: 42.973051 Longitude: -71.982787
Lodging near Manchester & Peterborough, NHIf you are looking for a charming, historic bed and breakfast in New Hampshire, consider our inn in the peaceful village of Hancock. Situated in the heart of the Monadnock Region, our accommodations provide a perfect home base for exploring all that this New England vacation spot has to offer.The Inn is located:
- 50 miles from the Manchester, NH airport
- 90 miles from Boston
- 50 miles from Brattleboro, Vermont
- Take exit 32B-32A to merge onto US-3 N toward Lowell Entering New Hampshire go 27.6 mi
- Continue on F E Everett Turnpike (signs for Amherst/Milford/101 A) go 0.3 mi
- Take exit 7W for 101 A toward Amherst/Milford go 0.3 mi
- Merge onto Amherst St/NH-101A/US-3 Continue to follow NH-101A go 7.7 mi
- Turn left to merge onto NH-101/State Route 101 go 5.1 mi
- Turn left at Elm St/NH-101 Continue to follow NH-101 go 14.5 mi
- Slight right at Granite St/NH-123/US-202 Continue to follow US-202 go 7.3 mi
- Turn left at Dungan Rd/Forest Rd Continue to follow Forest Rd go 1.6 mi
- Turn left at Main St/NH-123 Destination will be on the right go 0.2 mi